Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sheer Sided Leggings

Its days like this, when the weather just SUCKS and the town is wet and dreary that I feel like I need a new outfit, whether I do or don't. I think shopping just makes me feel better.


I am really in love with these leggings from 1to3 @ Seven NYC for a whopping $85.00

I love these because every miserable winter day has been harsher than the next. Each day is like another "bad outfit" day where I just want to be warm-- fashion be damned!  But with these leggings, we shock the eye with a graphic taste of the unexpected and suspend belief in the structural possibilities of leggings. Oh sweet variation on an old steady that I just cant seem to wake up without.  Something new that I can wear to shreds!  Let the legwarmers replace the ski socks and lets feel the warm embrace of a trendy outfit that is also (potentially, sort of but not really) practical!

Yes. $85. for a pair. I mean, it is SO unfair.
I am just a NYC girl who wants to look fuckin RAD.  
Why must I sell my first born to have a decent pair of sheer sided leggings?
Isn't that what we all want in life?

 I mean, a NORMAL person would go to American Apparel and buy the 1/2 priced knock off for $40...
 RNT64 Nylon Tricot  Micro-Mesh Two-Sided Legging


.... but I really don't want to.

#1 -- BIG NOTE : These are not the same leggings.

 We can all clearly see that. 

If you wore these you risk a flash of the chocha and you are wearing a skirt or a dress and not a tunic (I would hope, anyway).  Already risky and limiting.

#2  I  made this  New Year's resolution to try to support independent boutiques whenever possible and to stop shopping at chain retailers all the time. 

 (**skip this part if you don't like preaching**)...

 Stores like H&M and American Apparel are like a BK drive through of fashion. When we shop those stores exclusively, all the time, we are living like sad cattle in a Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation.  Its extremely convenient, consistent and well-priced.... BUT at what cost to our wardrobes and the collective fashion ecosystem?
Much like fast food, our nation is overconsuming a dangerously processed version of  trends.  We have lost originality, and our clothes all look basically the same, the stores' stock is repetitive, etc etc etc... I wont continue. We can do better that's all I am saying.

 whole foods, whole fashion. 

That is my resolution.

(**OK stop scrolling**)

So I debate the "grass fed" model, after seeing this girl who attended Berlin Fashion Week last week... (I hate her shorts, but the tights are cool.... )


  back at Seven NYC I find them... a little different.. a little cheaper...

Pretty Polly  PP "Garter Belt" Stocking $28.50




can i GET AWAY with these? 
( i have Big Mac withdrawal already-- someone just tell me what to do!)

 I think  I could be asking for a world of slut in the wrong ensemble.....
It takes a printed tunic of the PERFECT length to pull this off and play it down  without looking like the walk of shame.  It needs to be casual but right on the nose.
 should wait for the spring thaw perhaps and see how this trend plays out? ..... or should i just buy them now  so come spring i might have finally found that perfect outfit?

No comments: